Possible database error after upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0.60

A support forum for our flagship product Parabuild CI, a distributed CI/CD platform.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Peter Kristiansen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Possible database error after upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0.60

Postby Peter Kristiansen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:06 am

Hello,

We finally managed to upgrade our testserver from 3.2.36 to 4.0.60. We've had problems in the past with 3.2.36 that we couldn't expand the available memory for Parabuild when running as a windows service instead we made a bat file which contains ".\parabuild.bat run", and starts this as a scheduled task. Works like a charm.

After upgrading to 4.0.60 I get several errors, and it appears as if the start hangs. There are formed parabuild_debug.log.1 -> .50 with this information:
[AgentMonitor] 15:46:40,811 ERROR: DBCExceptionReporter( 58) - Column not found: AGENTCONFI0_.SERIALIZE in statement [select agentconfi0_.ID as ID, agentconfi0_.TIMESTAMP as TIMESTAMP, agentconfi0_.HOST as HOST, agentconfi0_.ENABLED as ENABLED, agentconfi0_.DESCRIPTION as DESCRIPT5_, agentconfi0_.SERIALIZE as SERIALIZE, agentconfi0_.DELETED as DELETED from AGENT agentconfi0_ where (agentconfi0_.DELETED='N' ) order by agentconfi0_.HOST]

All the lines appear the same, and it generates about 1MB of these lines every 3 seconds or so.

I'm trying to revert back to an earlier copy to retry the upgrade, but do you have any ideas as what may have caused this?

br
Peter Kristiansen

support

Postby support » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 am

Peter,

It looks like it was a good idea to do a test run before upgrading your production instance.

What may have happened is that a) the database upgrade hasn't complete, or b) there is a bug in the upgrade procedure.

We have seen a) happening when the upgrade process failed when there wasn't enough memory dedicated to Parabuild service.

We suggest to start over with the test upgrade by doing the following. Make sure you are on a test machine! :

1. Remove Parabuild from test machine.
2. Copy Parabuild from production to the test machine.
3. Modify c:\parabuild\bin\parabuild.vmoptions to contain

-Xms100m
-Xmx600m

4. Install Parabuild 3.2 over it to activate Windows service.
5. Follow the normal upgrade process.

Please let us know how it is going.

Slava

Peter Kristiansen

Postby Peter Kristiansen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 am

The short status: The upgrade to 4.0.60 went through and I can now start it as a service. Yay!

I ran into some problems when trying to start 3.2.36 as a service, even with the changes to parabuild.vmoptions that you suggested. Everytime I tried it gave an out of memory error after a while and crashed the database. Finally I replaced the database (again) with a fresh copy and started 3.2.36 from the bat file, and it worked.

I kept the modifications to parabuild.vmoptions, ran the upgrade to 4.0.60 and it went through without any problems. And as mentioned 4.0.60 can now start as a service on our test machine.

I believe that I'm happy for now. Thank you for your great assistance :D

support

Postby support » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Peter,

We appreciate your patience. I wish we figured the issue with spaces in the license file sooner.

I've logged a change request to trim spaces from license properties.

Slava

Peter Kristiansen

Postby Peter Kristiansen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi,

No problem. The most important is that the problem got identified.

thanks
Peter

Return to “parabuild.ci.support”